Monday, February 24, 2014

Seven Posts in Seven Days: Day One, A Book Meme

 OK, Chari and I are going to play.


7 day blog challenge 7 posts, 7 days

 For Day One, I found this book meme by way of Faith at Household Diary  and thought I would play since I haven't been reading so much recently and want to get back to it.   I have been doing almost all my reading on my Kindle recently.   It's eminently portable, I can highlight passages and review them over at the Amazon site, and I don't have to shuffle through stacks (don't HAVE to -- I still shuffle through bookstacks for fun)

Chari, you should play! 


1. What book are you reading now?

I have several books going usually grouped by category.    Here are my categories.

OrganizationPaperless Home Organization by Mystie Winckler
Devotional/Doctrinal:  PRactical Piety of St Francis de Sales
Fictional/LiteraryTales from the Perilous Realm by JRR Tolkien
Homeschool-Related:  Books to Build On by ED Hirsch (probably will just browse through this for future reference rather than read cover to cover)
Great BooksOn the origin of species by Darwin, and Mind and Cosmos by Thomas Nagel.
Chesterton:  Heretics

2. What book did you just finish?

The Faithful One (a modern rendering of Job) -- a Kindle freebie.
Before that, Club of Queer Trades by Chesterton and The One Thing is Three. 


3. What do you plan to read next?

Rediscover Catholicism for our local Catholic book club
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (rereading for this)
Whatever short story Chari has for March! LOL

4. What book do you keep meaning to finish?

The ones I am most pained about leaving right now are:
Both of them I got more than halfway through.   But I have to be in the right mental frame to read that kind of book, and sometimes it goes away in the middle.  

There are a lot more.   I want to read all the books on Kolbe's high school list but I keep getting sidetracked.    The main one of those I am frustrated about right now is Democracy in America. 

5. What book do you keep meaning to start?


Any Shakespeare play or Dickens book that I haven't already read.
Oh, and The Moonstone or Woman in White, since Faith keeps saying how much she likes Wilkie Collins!

6. What is your current reading trend?

While on vacation, I read mostly Kindle freebies.  Most of them cozy-ish mysteries (not the thrillers about pyschotic serial killers) and a few SF/fantasy.   

At home, I tend to have several fairly heavy books going at once.  Or if not heavy, then substantial practical manuals like Mystie's where I want to read slowly in order to actually apply the results : ).    Again, Kindle has been helpful for me in regard to serious reading.    I don't have to have a huge stack of weighty tomes to dig through, and my place is marked for me.  

If you try this meme, please let me know so I can read yours.  I love book posts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Please share your thoughts or just say hello!