Sunday, December 4, 2011

Second Sunday in Advent:A Song For You!

As recommended last week by Susan in her comment, this week we share:

O Come Divine Messiah

It is a very pretty song. The tune does seem familiar though I would not have recognized it as Advent. From now on, I will! : ) Thank you, Susan!

It was a bit difficult finding onYoutube an acceptable version of this song. I did the best that I could.....


The first video is probably the best of the three. It is an instrumental version, without lyrics.






The second is also instrumental, but with lyrics. It is not as nice a sound as the first, but I like seeing the words.







And finally......I looked and listened, and looked and listened.....and this was the best of the vocal versions that I could find. If someone can find a better one, do let me know!

Since it is sung by a TORCH group......at least we are supporting Catholic homeschoolers. ; )







The brief history of the hymn:


Words: Abbé Simon J. Pellegrin, 1663-1745
English Translation of French Carol Venez Divin MessieTranslator: Sister Mary of St. Philip, SND
Music: 16th Century French Carol
Often played as a processional during Advent

The lyrics of the song:



1. O come, divine Messiah!
The world in silence waits the day
When hope shall sing its triumph,
And sadness flee away.

Refrain:
Dear Savior haste;
Come, come to earth,
Dispel the night and show Thy face,
And bid us hail the dawn of grace.
O come, divine Messiah!
The world in silence waits the day
When hope shall sing its triumph,
And sadness flee away.

2. O Christ, whom nations sigh for,
Whom priest and prophet long foretold,
Come break the captive fetters;
Redeem the long-lost fold.
Refrain

3. You come in peace and meekness,
And lowly will Thy cradle be;
All clothed in human weakness
We shall Thy Godhead see.
Refrain




Next week I will follow-up on Jennifer's suggestion.


Advent Blessings to you and yours this season,

Chari & Willa




2 comments:

  1. All very enjoyable. I wasn't familiar with this hymn until recent years, but I really like it. I love expanding my Advent list of songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for posting my suggestion! I find it so interesting how little bits of the lyrics differ from place to place. The version we've always sung in the canadian parishes I've attended Mass at use slightly different lyrics. The differences are very little, just enough to confuse. Funny how that happens although I guess it's to be expected. Just in case you're interested, I'll post the lyrics we sing here if that's OK. I like singing it a bit faster than most parishes play it too. But it is such a nice song anyway!


    O come, divine Messiah!
    The world in silence waits the day
    When hope shall sing its triumph,
    And sadness flee away.

    Refrain:
    Sweet Saviour, haste;
    Come, come to earth;
    Dispel the night, and show thy face,
    And bid us hail the dawn of grace.
    O come, divine Messiah,
    The world in silence waits the day
    When hope shall sing its triumph,
    And sadness flee away.

    O thou, whom nations signed for,
    Whom priests and prophets long foretold,
    Wilt break the captive fetters,
    Redeem the long lost fold.

    Shalt come in peace and meekness,
    And lowly will they cradle be;
    All clothed in human weakness
    Shall we thy God head see.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Please share your thoughts or just say hello!