Thursday, May 24, 2018

Willa Cather.......Finally

After all of these years, I have finally started reading a book authored by Willa Cather.

Buuuuuuut fiiiiiiirst:

Yaaaaaawwwwnnnnnn. 

😴😴😴😴😴

 Streeeeeeeetch.

🙋🙋🙋🙋🙋



Okay, that was the sound of this blog waking up.

**********************************************

As I was saying........

I am reading MY ANTONIA.  I already had it on my shelf and a handful of my friends also have it at hand.......so we are reading this one.  Or, rereading in one case.

Supposedly Willa Cather referred to My Antonia as "the best thing I've ever done."

That has me a little worried.......If I read her best work now, will I not enjoy her other works as much?  What's your favorite title?

I am also confused why it's her book. She says that her friend brought his notes to her and she created the book, without changing much. And he even titled it.

I have been distracted by so many other books........that's why I am late to this party.  I am really looking forward to reading it.  I like it so far.......about 14 pages in.

I looooove this quote:

Jim was a 10 year old, visiting his grandmother's garden for the first time, at the end of Chapter I, Part II:

I kept as still as I could.  Nothing happened.  I did not expect anything to happen.  I was something that lay under the sun and felt it, like the pumpkins, and I did not want to be anything more.  I was entirely happy. Perhaps we feel like this when we die and become part of something entire, whether it is sun and air, or goodness and knowledge.  At any rate, that is happiness: to be dissolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep.

 This resonates so much with me.......I KNOW this.  I FEEL this. So frequently.

It's a special gift that God has deigned to give me.  Its one reason why I love the sun and summer and warmth so much.  Pure happiness drug.

**********************************

On the subject of this blog:

Willa and I both want to write here.....and we make plans every year to do so......but it keeps not happening.  I write blog posts in my head daily, still.  

I love writing. I want to write daily, several times. But with my grown kids (minus one....still 16), and life being so short and all, I have been focusing on my relationships with my people.


Well, I am actually home all alone today.......and I have a lot of stuff to do......so I will close this short post.



I am excited that I finally sat still long enough to write and publish.  Please, if you see this post, please say hello!!


Want to read My Antonia with us?

Blessings on a beautiful spring day,

                                                          Chari

P.S.  This is officially our 526th blog post!!!  I guess there was a time that we were more prolific!  Now I have to figure out how to get photos from my phone onto here.....things are more complicated than before.....

15 comments:

  1. I have been in that exact same place. I want to write; I write in my head; I don't write. ;-)

    However, lately I have been writing.

    I really like My Antonia, but I'm not going to read it again because I have an intensive reading program already planned.

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Janet!

      My reading plan is all over the place right now....especially on my bedroom dressers and shelves!


      I would love to know what is on your plan!

      Delete
    2. https://readingmylibrary1.blogspot.com/

      The first post tells all about it.

      AMDG, Janet

      Delete
    3. Had fun looking around your blog!!

      Delete
    4. Nice to see you there.

      AMDG

      Delete
  2. I'll read with you :) And I've been intending to write more too. So maybe I'll blog it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have you started yet, Stef? I am about 14 chapters into Book 1.

      Delete
  3. Hi Friend!! I love Willa Cather, and love My Antonia. I think my fav Cather is “Shadows on the Rock.” The Catholic setting is so beautiful. I know you will love it. ❤️Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for commenting, Diana!

      I know that you love Willa Cather.....and you are one of the reasons I am jumping in! I will Read Shadows on the Rock then!

      Hope that you are feeling better everyday!

      Delete
    2. I finished! I hope I can read Shadows before the year ends!

      Delete
  4. Great to see you "waking up" here ;-) <3 xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It would last long....if I had no other life! I hope that I will keep coming back!

      Delete
  5. Ooh! Nice to see you back! I give my blog a prod every once in a while, but then it hits the snooze button. Must. Try. Harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathryn, for taking the time to comment!

      I hear ya! And I am sure that's going to be what happens here........ :)

      Let's keep trying! At least for posterity's sake!

      Delete

We love hearing from our readers. Please share your thoughts or just say hello!