Sunday, April 1, 2012

Those Seven Last Words.......

The Last Seven Words of Christ have inspired many through the centuries. There have been music and prayers composed, paintings and poetry, inspired by Our Lord's suffering on the Cross.




What Our Lord Saw from the Cross
by
James Joseph Jacques Tissot
(1836–1902)

 

The Seven Last Words of Christ.......

Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. (Luke 23:34)


Amen I say to thee: This day thou shalt be with me in paradise. (Luke 23:43)


Woman, behold thy son. . . .Behold thy mother. (John 19:26-27)


Eli, Eli, lamma sabacthani? (My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me?) (Matthew 27:46)


I thirst. (John 19:28)


It is finished. (John 19:30)


Father, into Thy hands I commend my spirit. (Luke 23:46)


 

 "All the words of Christ are important, but the words of Christ from the pulpit of the Cross, is where He teaches us some of the most profound truths. It took a great deal of strength to speak while being crucified, so each word of Christ from the cross is precious. During Lent, it is beneficial for us to meditate on the seven last words of Christ." Read more here......




Prayer of the Seven Last Words

O divine Jesus, incarnate Son of god, for our salvation you consented to be born in a stable, to spend you whole life amid pverty, trials, and misery, and to die surrounded by sufferings on the Cross. At the hour of my death, please tell your Father, Father, forgive them. Tell your Mother, Behold your child. Tell my soul, This day you shall be with me in paradise.


My God, my God, do not forsake me in that hour. I thirst, yes, my soul thirsts for you who are the fountain of living waters. My life passes away like a shadow; in a short while everything will be accomplished. Therefore, my adored Saviour, from this moment and for all eternity, into your hands I commend my spirit. Lord Jesus, receive my soul.


The inspiration for creating this post came from Haydn and his hauntingly beautiful piece of music......



Listen to it this week, at least on Good Friday.
One of my favorite pieces of music..............did you enjoy it?


+++++++++++


Below, are four parts of Dubois' Seven Last Words of Christ, also very lovely.  I chose these videos below because they were higher quality than the others on YouTube. A full-piece orchestra!











++++++++++++++++++++++++++



What are the Last Seven Words of Christ? will provide information for meditation from dear Bishop Fulton Sheen. If you only click on one link in this post......this is it. I am thinking that I will possibly post these individually during this Holy Week.



Crucifixion depicted as Stabat Mater with the Virgin Mary,
 Porto Alegre, Brasil, 19th century.


Other useful links on those Seven Last Words.........



Surprisingly interesting information can be found at Wikipedia or at Sayings of Jesus on the Cross, also Wikipedia.


The Seven Last Words of Christ is a fascinating idea.  It is a theatrical performance based on these words from the Gospels.  There are a few minutes here on YouTube.



Mother Angelica on The Last Seven Words of Christ.  I have no idea how useful this is as my internet will not allow me to view it right now.



Ideas for catechists or parents for the Seven Last Words of Christ.



Priests for Life's Father Frank Povone has a set of sermons on the Last Words.  This is the first of seven brief sermons.



 Holy Week blessings,  


                             Chari & Willa

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Please share your thoughts or just say hello!