Monday, March 25, 2013

Follow This Link: Holy Week and the Tree


Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written: Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree.  Galatians 3:13

The God of our fathers hath raised up Jesus, whom you put to death, hanging him upon a tree. Acts 5:30

In honor of Holy Week I thought I would share some resources especially, as it turns out, about trees and the Cross.    I am going to have my younger boys read The Tale of the Three Trees and my high schooler read Dream of the Rood,.

 General:



This free Easter Lapbook looks beautiful and covers Palm Sunday, Holy Week and Easter Week. 

Sanctus Simplicitus' Lenten Lapbook might have some resources for Holy Week and beyond.

Here is an interesting Treasure Map of Holy Week (Orthodox)

The Tale of the Three Trees



The Tale of the Three Trees:  A Folktale for Good Friday.
This is an online text version of the venerable legend.  

An online Bible Study based on the Angela Elwell Hunt picture book of The Tale of the Three Trees (which is the version we have).

Another Bible Study:  Three Trees Companion Study Guide

HomeschoolShare has a lapbook/unit study!

A book review on a Pauline Media picture book version of the story.  .at Stuart's Study.

Dream of the Rood



I am having my 11th grader read Dream of the Rood.  You can read a bit more about this medieval English poem here.     I made a sort of mini-unit-study for my son's notebook here:  Dream of the Rood (PDFDream of the Rood (ODT))

It is interesting to compare this beautiful poem to the Legend of the Three Trees.   Both are from the point of view of the tree.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Please share your thoughts or just say hello!