I wanted to start writing assignments down in a composition book for my 10 and 14 year old. When I've done this in the past with my older kids it has been really helpful in keeping myself organized. However, when I looked at our stash of composition books in the supply closet I quailed at their bleakness.
I guess it's because I've been browsing through Pinterest more often recently that I thought of looking up altered composition books. Turns out it is quite easy and there are lots of beautiful examples online.
I decided to experiment on a notebook for me, before trying notebooks for my sons.
I mostly used this tutorial, but I didn't follow it exactly -- I didn't have spray adhesive, for one thing, and I didn't want to worry about using an X-acto when I was just playing.
Anyway, here are the pictures -- the light wasn't too great -- we are getting a lot of rain here in the CA Sierras. I am reasonably happy with the results! As one site said, the part that took the longest was choosing the coordinating paper! Making the book took only 15 or 20 minutes.
|Some of the scraps I used|
|The finished product|
|The inside front cover|
|The inside back cover|
I used regular scrapbook adhesive instead of spray, scrapbook paper instead of cardstock, and it seems fairly solid so far. I put some contact paper on the outside binding to reinforce it since it seemed like the most fragile part. I don't like the shininess of the contact paper but it doesn't show too much.
This tutorial shows how to make altered books with Mod Podge. I am trying that with the boys' notebooks.