Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Short Story Club: January 2014~~~The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald



The Short Story Club





January 2013

The selection for January 2014 is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button .







      I have chosen this story because it is the short story that I read in January of 2012.  The one that got me thinking about starting this Short Story Club. I expect that it will be the only story that I will have already read before I post.  The others will all be new to me.  I also choose to repeat this title in my life because it is such a fascinating story......and I want to share it with others.

     I was first aware of this story when I saw a trailer for a movie of the same name.  When I realized that it was based off of the short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, I knew I had to read it before I saw the movie.  Of course!  I reserved a collection of short stories from the library.  I much preferred the format of a heavy book in my hands.  I fell in love with the three main characters immediately. I became fascinated with their relationships. Please join me in reading Benjamin Button's very unusual and impossible story.  Fitzgerald really has a way of making us believe this could be possible.  At least, two years later, that is what I recall. 


It was first published in Colliers Magazine on May 27, 1922

To read, use the link above or perhaps it may be easier to read here.


Or download to your Kindle for free!


After we read, we can use these pages for discussion if we want......or to explore on our own.



Blessings,

              Chari & Willa

PS.....and by the way, the movie only resembles the wonderful story in name and in idea of reverse aging......otherwise, it kills off the mom in childbirth and the father abandons his son.......none of which are true.  And, the amount of s*x is entirely unnecessary.  Huge disappointment.  The original story would have made an amazing movie.  Just my not so humble opinion.....


2 comments:

  1. I never saw the movie (as is usually the case) but did enjoy the story. I found the ending fascinating and very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skipping the movie might be okay in this case. The story is much better........thank you so much for reading along with us!

      Delete

We love hearing from our readers. Please share your thoughts or just say hello!