Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Heavenly Music of Anna Maria Mendieta

     A few days ago, as I was packing and cleaning my house before leaving for the coast, I was listening to one of my favorite Christmas CDs.  I listened to it for days.  The music is absolutely celestial.  I am sure that my favorite song on the CD is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring.  Simply........heavenly.  I probably should admit it may be my all-time favorite piece of music.......ever.
     And that is when I realized........I must share this music.......with all of you!!!

     I am honored to introduce to you.........


     Anna Maria is a fine musician, an internationally acclaimed harpist, who has played at The Kennedy Center as well as for the Royalty of Spain.  She is also a devout Catholic who was only one of two Americans to play in the orchestra for the Pope for World Youth Day in Spain last August.  The other was her nephew Walter. 

    A biography for Anna Maria is here
   You can find Anna Maria's music for sale on her website

     I was listening to this CD:


                                                          

      With these songs......

Angels We Have Heard On High
Carol Of The Bells
Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring
Coventry Carol
It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
Adeste Fideles
Silent Night
Gesu Bambino
Ave Maria
Lo, How A Rose
Pachelbel's "Canon"
Away In A Manger
Bring A Torch, Jeannette Isabella
A Ceremony of Carols (Interlude)
Amazing Grace



     It is a perfect addition to your Christmas CD collection!  It is soothing enough to have the children listen as they drift off to sleep.

     Anna Maria has three other CDs for sale.  I have one of those, too.

     The tunes of Broadway fill up this CD.
Angels We Hav 


     My first thought when I saw that there were Broadway tunes on harp was:  how could that be entertaining???  I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I loved this music.  I find myself humming along to all of the tunes.  And there is such a nice variety, too!  I enjoy this CD very much. 


Cats - Memory
Sound of Music - Sound of Music
Les Miserables - On My Own
West Side Story - Tonight
Evita - Don't Cry for Me Argentina
Man Of La Mancha - Dulinea
Porgy & Bess - Summertime
Fiddler On The Roof - Sunrise, Sunset
Sunset Blvd. - With One Look
Jekyll & Hyde - No One Knows Who I am
Phantom Of The Opera - All I Ask of You
Miss Saigon - I Still Believe
 


    
     When Anna Maria plays, I know she ultimately is playing for the glory of God.  I know this because I know Anna Maria.  She just happens to be the sister of my other best friend.  I have had the opportunity of seeing Anna Maria play live several times.  The CDs were an autographed gift from her one year for Christmas. 

     If you live anywhere near the Bay Area or Sacramento area of California, there are plenty of opportunities to see Anna Maria live.  She is the principal harpist for the Sacramento Philharmonic.  She also plays for weddings, parties or for anything else for which one would want a harpist.

     Anna Maria is not only an amazing harpist, she is an accomplished Tango dancer.  She has been bringing Tango music to the harp........an unexpected, but wonderful idea!  And, she is a member of a special ensemble called Tango de Cielo . Her father generously treated my kids and I to tickets to a performance of this talented group.  The musicians playing with Anna Maria were excellent.  You can see a video at the link just above.

This reads on the website:

Leading you through the tight turns, dips and smokey cafes of Argentina, concert harpist Anna Maria Mendieta's exciting new project is a fresh and innovative presentation of the passionate and sensuous music of the Argentine Tango.  Bringing together for the first time in tango history: harp, string quartet, percussion and dance -- we invite you to experience this wholly captivating and rhythmically intoxicating music in a way never before presented!

    

    You can also find Anna Maria on Facebook. At least go her page and click "like"!  :)

    Willa & I want to use our blog to support Catholics in business.  Please share this page about Anna Maria Mendieta so more people can support her. She is a wonderful person and an amazing musiciam whose music is angelic.


Advent Blessings,

                Chari

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Please share your thoughts or just say hello!