Thursday, February 13, 2014

Wednesday With Words: You Will Not Be The Same

 
      I have finally confiscated my own computer from my youngest boys......who are becoming little Olympics addicts......since for the first the in their lives we have the ability to see the Olympics through streaming......

       I tried to write this post all day Wednesday......but was unable to pin the computer down when I had the free time......so Thursday With Words it is.....
      Last week I misunderstood the link-up.  It was my first time, after all. I thought it was simply "quotes"......then I discovered it was quotes from books we are reading......Well, yeah.  This is a literature-based blog.  I can handle book quotes.

     So, when I thought about what I was currently reading, I decided to consider the The Hobbit.  I am reading it aloud to my 12 year old son.  I wanted to make sure he heard all of it from Tolkien before Hollywood twisted the story in his mind.  I wonder if it will be my last time to read it aloud......it is my third time.  He is my youngest. 

      Since I am reading aloud, we discuss the great quotes when they come up......but I do not have time to write down or savor any of the words........so I put "Hobbit Quotes" into Google......found one that spoke to me...and brought it here.




 
Gandalf: I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.
Bilbo: I should think so—in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them …
Gandalf:  You’ll have a tale or two to tell when you come back
Bilbo:  You can promise that I’ll come back?”
Gandalf:  No. And if you do, you will not be the same


      The very first thing that came to my mind when I read this quote.......were my three kids who chose to go off on the adventure of a lifetime........even knowing that it would forever change them.

     In fact, as we said farewell to each of them as they departed in their own turn as Rotary International Exchange Student Ambassadors, both they knew and we knew, we were saying goodbye to the who they were at that moment in time, at just eighteen years of age. 

      Two have gone and returned home.  One is currently on her exchange.  And yes, they have changed.  And I love them for it.  They are certainly more global in their thinking.....





My sweet baby girl, Maddelyn, is currently in Slovakia. 
I am so proud of her.
She is offspring number 4, youngest of the three girls.
Becoming fluent in Slavic.




Matthew lived in Switzerland for a year.
His is standing on the Matterhorn here.
He is offspring Number 2, the oldest of the three boys.
Fluent in German.
 

Sarah lived in Austria for her exchange year.
She is the middle girl of the three girls, and offspring Number 3.
She is now fluent in German.
I am so proud of her.
 
      I am so very excited that I found this quote in one of our favorite books by one of our favorite authors.......one who encouraged the spirit of adventure in my kids.  First they practiced with his stories in our living room and then our backyard....and then they applied it to the world.
 
God bless JRR Tolkien!
 
 
 
 


 
Blessings,

              Chari
 

6 comments:

  1. Love those snaps of your globetrotting trio:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Thanks for coming over....and the comment! God bless you and yours!

      Delete
  2. Chari, a blog request, just discovered you don't have a search button. Looking for something Willa mentioned wanting to link and alas can't find it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....that is something we need to tell Willa. It's her job...... :)

      Delete
  3. Love seeing the travelers Chari. They ARE getting an adventure of a lifetime indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There really aren't any rules except share WORDS. Your words this week make me a tiny bit yearnful. How wonderful for your children but also how wise you are to see and accept that they will change.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Please share your thoughts or just say hello!